Sunday 8 March 2009

Week 9 - taking on the elements


Firstly, a big thank you to everyone who sponsored me this week including my cousins Melanie and Steven, Aunty Cath, Anna Hughes, Dave Hamilton and most of the Crossgates Working Men's Club football team.

Following on from last week's post, we won the semi-final 1-0 (it would have been 2-0 but for my goal being wrongly disallowed for a push and the heroics of their goalkeeper who plucked one out of the top corner). Unfortunately, the exertion and post-match celebration had a negative effect on my running schedule as I could barely move on Sunday (for both reasons!) so I moved the long run to Monday night instead. I then did a steady 10 km in the rain on Tuesday night with Evo and a quick 10 km at race pace on Wednesday before what turned out to be an eventful weekend.

On Friday I left my car at a colleague's house and had my last beer before the marathon (that's the plan anyway!) so had a steady 9 km jog at half 6 on Saturday morning to retrieve it. I then played in another semi-final for Crossgates but this time we lost 3-2 despite outplaying the opposition for most of the game. I was also disappointed to be brought off on the hour but it meant I could save my legs for Sunday's long run. 

I needed all the energy I got from my new pre-race meal of porridge followed by honey on toast (with gorgeous home-made bread) and a banana for a gruelling 18 miler in the rain and sleet with Gav (see post-run picture) that was a real mental and physical test. 

Next week promises more of the same so I just hope the weather improves along with my will power...

2nd - 8th March
Mon: (did Sunday's run!)
Tues: AM: gym 1 hr PM 55 mins steady (10 km)
Wed: AM: gym 1 hr PM: 45 mins quick (10 km)
Thurs: Rest
Fri: Rest
Sat: AM: 9 km PM: Football (semi-final)
Sun: 2 hrs 20 mins (28 km)
Weekly total: 57 km - training total: 488 km


No comments: