Sunday 22 March 2009

Week 11 - got your number

My pre-marathon pack arrived this week with a magazine explaining the logistics of 40,000 people running 26 and a bit miles at the same time round a notoriously busy capital city and it all seems a bit daunting. First you have to register in the week before the marathon at the Excel Arena with proof of who you are before collecting your race number and your 'Champion Chip' timing system which you attach to your trainers to get an accurate final race time. I have been allocated number 41,388 which means I start in the red area in Greenwich Park (the pros start in blue and there is also a green one), with the 3 routes converging after about 3 miles.

It is going to be an early start as the race gets underway at 9.45 am and you obviously need to eat a few hours before and get to the start in plenty of time. Plus we are staying in St. Albans so will have to work out how to get there on the day and meeting up with family and friends afterwards is also a potential nightmare (you can hardly run with your mobile and there won't be a signal at the finish anyway) but I'm sure with enough planning it will be fine.

Running wise, I have not had a great week as I started coming down with a cold mid-week so wasn't well enough to do my long run on the Sunday which was really frustrating but hopefully I will get rid of it soon and be able to step up my training again next week to compensate. I also need to raise another £700 which is a bit of a worry so I'm going to have to start pestering people who haven't sponsored me yet (sorry in advance!)

16th - 22nd March
Mon: Rest
Tues: AM: gym 1 hr PM: 1 hr 50 mins steady (20 km)
Wed: AM: gym 1 hr
Thurs: AM: gym 1 hr + 30 mins interval training (7 km)
Fri: AM: 30 mins steady (7 km)
Sat: Football
Sun: Rest

Weekly total: 34 km - training total: 587 km

No comments: