Saturday 10 March 2012

Just in time

Having been cancelled first time round due to the snow flurry in late Feb, the Dewsbury 10k was re-arranged for a wet and windy sunday morning in early March. Having run the monstrously hilly Huddersfield 10k the week before, I was looking forward to running on a relatively flat course and having a crack at my PB of 37.23.
The race started pretty well and I worked my way towards the head of the field though annoyingly, I had to stop for a pee which cost me valuable seconds and broke my rythmn early on. I also had issues with my compression socks which I was racing in for thr first time. Rather than help the circulation, they were giving me pins and needles in my feet which wasn't a good sign so I again had to break my rythmn to roll them down (see dips in the pace chart: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156510727 )
I felt off the pace at half way, turning round in just over 19 minutes but with the second leg all down hill to the finish, I decided to go for it and after a couple of mini races along the way, I came in at 37.16, more than the 36 I had been hoping for but still a slight PB on the day (will avoid the pre-race coffee next time!)

No comments: